TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: VoIP and Bell DSL: Is it Ready For Prime Time?

Re: VoIP and Bell DSL: Is it Ready For Prime Time?

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com)
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 03:44:40 -0000

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note:

> Regards naked DSL, for most parts of the Bell System it is unlikely as
> they do business now. SBC, for example has stated they would not do it
> and they don't do it except where courts have ordered them to do
> so. You would be better off looking at high speed cable internet or
> satellite internet if it is possible in your community, as it is here.
> PAT]

Note: The playing field on this *is* changing. Generally for the better.

While it's true that in a lot of territory the ILEC won't sell you DSL
unless you have phone service from them as well, It _is_ possible to
get 'naked DSL' from competing providers. It costs a little bit more,
typically $10/month, but _is_ available in large parts of the country.

Verizon has announced plans to offer naked directly to customers, but
the release date has slipped.

Qwest, as of this month is offering it in their entire service area,
at a premium of $5 over their shared-line pricing.

In a significant part of at least the former Ameritech part of SBC,
naked DSL has been available through the likes of COVAD, and MCI, for
_years_ even though you could _not_ get it through Ameritech/SBC.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: What do you mean when you say 'the
playing field is changing, generally for the better?' Is it 'better'
that people will now in many areas (but not SBC of course!) be able
to grovel and beg to get DSL without a phone line and have service
reps get ignorant and give them a hard time and maybe not even know
how to write the order? Is it 'better' that telco will try all its
usual sleazy tricks with this new fertile area for them (naked DSL)?
What makes that 'better'? When I got a letter last week from SBC
telling me I could have the whole works for just =$2.95= per month for
one year _if I would please just come back to them_ and get away from
Prairie Stream, I knew they were up to their old tricks once again.

Why is naked DSL direct from telco 'better' than to give cablecos a
crack at it, and their friends in the ILEC side of the business? PAT]

Go to Next message: Philip R. Mann: "Re: VoIP and Bell DSL: Is it Ready For Prime Time?"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: VoIP and Bell DSL: Is it Ready For Prime Time?"
May be in reply to: Thumper: "VoIP and Bell DSL: Is it Ready For Prime Time?"