TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Can Somebody Please Explain CSD to Me?

Can Somebody Please Explain CSD to Me?

bob@jfcl.com
17 Mar 2005 20:18:38 -0800

I live in San Jose (San Francisco Bay Area) and have Cingular GSM
service with a Nokia 6620 phone. I'm told that with CSD I can use my
phone as a modem for my laptop and place a point-to-point data call to
my ISP. Is that right? Does my ISP need any special equipment to
receive this call, or does any regular dial up line suffice for the
destination?

What do I tell the Cingular sales people on the phone that I want to
buy? They've never heard of CSD and want to sell me either Laptop
Connect or Media Net. Media net is certainly not what I want, and
Laptop Connect is a) expensive and b) doesn't seem to work with my
VPN.

I know CSD is only 9600bps and not as fast as EDGE, but I can live
with that to save money.

Is this going to work when I travel around the US, or is this setup
unique to each little Cingular area?

Thanks in advance for the help. I won't have any trouble setting up a
dialup connection on my PC, but I'm afraid I don't know very much
about cell phone technology. Sadly, all the Cingular sales people
seem to know even less about it than I do!

Bob Armstrong

Go to Next message: sollento: "Blackberry Enterprise Server Calendar Sharing"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Debit Card Fraud a Growing Problem"
May be reply: Koos van den Hout: "Re: Can Somebody Please Explain CSD to Me?"
May be reply: Joseph: "Re: Can Somebody Please Explain CSD to Me?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page