TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Can Somebody Please Explain CSD to Me?

Re: Can Somebody Please Explain CSD to Me?

Koos van den Hout (koos+newsposting@kzdoos.xs4all.nl)
6 Apr 2005 12:40:05 GMT

bob@jfcl.com wrote:

> I live in San Jose (San Francisco Bay Area) and have Cingular GSM
> service with a Nokia 6620 phone. I'm told that with CSD I can use my
> phone as a modem for my laptop and place a point-to-point data call to
> my ISP. Is that right?

Yes. Although I don't know what 'CSD' stands for in this context.

> Does my ISP need any special equipment to receive this call, or does
> any regular dial up line suffice for the destination?

The ISP doesn't need special equipment. Your GSM provider (Cingular)
needs modem equipment to convert gsm-data to normal 9600 bps calls.

Your ISP does need to accept calls at those rates. Some have their
modems set up to reject calls at 'lower' speeds.

> What do I tell the Cingular sales people on the phone that I want to
> buy?

A Nokia 6620 data cable. A google search for that term gives me
http://www.nokiausa.com/nokia_accessories/6620/1,2224,70,00.html

> Thanks in advance for the help. I won't have any trouble setting up a
> dialup connection on my PC, but I'm afraid I don't know very much
> about cell phone technology.

To your computer it will look like a normal modem that understands
Hayes commands to build a connection and dial your ISP. Your phone
will convert it to a gsm-data call. Cingular can have a different rate
for those calls and not count it against 'voice' minutes you may have.

Hope this helps in getting yourself connected,

Greetings,

Koos van den Hout

Koos van den Hout, PGP keyid RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5 via keyservers
koos@kzdoos.xs4all.nl or DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 -?)
Fax +31-30-2817051 Visit the site about books with reviews /\\
http://idefix.net/~koos/ http://www.virtualbookcase.com/ _\_V

Go to Next message: jtaylor: "Re: Wired: Word From on High: Jam Cell Calls"
Go to Previous message: James Carlson: "Re: USB to RJ-45 Console Cable?"
May be in reply to: bob@jfcl.com: "Can Somebody Please Explain CSD to Me?"