TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Verizon Plans to Offer "Naked DSL" on 4/5 of its Wirelines

Re: Verizon Plans to Offer "Naked DSL" on 4/5 of its Wirelines

ranck@vt.edu
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:13:01 +0000 (UTC)

Michael D. Sullivan <userid@camsul.example.invalid> wrote:

> There is at least one technology issue, and maybe more. Verizon's
> many millions of ADSL/POTS lines are identified by telephone number.
> The POTS telephone number is, in effect, the key, the unique
> identifier, used in the databases of both Verizon's LEC and Verizon
> Online, which markets DSL to the public. Both companies' databases

Nope, Veirzon's predecessor Bell Atlantic had no trouble billing
for dry pair leased lines in the 1970's. They had a circuit number
which we used when calling in trouble tickets, but no phone number
was associated with them. I am quite willing to bet there are still
dry pair leased lines here and there. In fact I'll bet just about
every ATM machine has a wire pair with no dial-tone or phone number.
Those things use leased lines with modems set up in leased line mode.
At least that is how they used to work. No bank wants to have its
ATMs on the switched phone network, but they do lease wire pairs from
the local telco. The only difference for DSL is the type of modem.

> will have to be significantly reconfigured to use an identification
> other than simply the telephone number in order to run their
> businesses before Naked DSL is offered. If you have ever called
> Verizon Online's customer (dis) service number, you will know that the
> first question asked is, "What is your DSL line's phone number?"

That is just the easiest identifier. If their database programmers
were even halfway competent there will be other wire pair circuit IDs
that are unique identifiers. In fact a phone number isn't a unique
key anyway. It can change while the wire pair does not, and the wire
pair could change while the phone number does not.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Go to Next message: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: Click Fraud Looms As Search-Engine Threat"
Go to Previous message: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: Verizon Plans to Offer "Naked DSL" on 4/5 of its Wirelines"
May be in reply to: Charles Cryderman: "Verizon Plans to Offer "Naked DSL" on 4/5 of its Wirelines"