TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: ADSL and SDSL?

Re: ADSL and SDSL?

T. Sean Weintz (strap@hanh-ct.org)
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:57:12 -0500

Robert Anderson wrote:

> Do you more reliably get the higher bandwidth with SDSL than with
> ADSL?

> For example, is the CIR higher with SDSL?

> We are a very small business using VoIP and our connection is
> ADSL. People have problems hearing us but not the other way around.

> We were thinking of switching from ADSL over to SDSL, to see if that
> helps.

> Robert Anderson

ADSL is asymmetrical -- the downstream speed is usually much faster
than the upstream. And adsl is usually cheap (often under $50 per
month) 1.5mbps downstream and 128kbps upstream is a pretty standard
speed.

SDSL is symetrical -- the upstream and downstream speeds are the same.
That is what we have here - 2 sdsl lines, both 1.5mbps upstream and
downstream. You pay a premium for that fast upstream speed, tho. It's
about $400 a month per line for us.

Reliability is pretty much the same between the two. It's the upstream
speed that is the big difference. And the support -sdsl is generally
aimed at businesses, so the support people for sdsl providers are more
than just script readers.

SDSL is symmetrical -- upload

Go to Next message: Danny Burstein: "Uplink Requirements, was: ADSL and SDSL?"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: ADSL and SDSL?"
May be in reply to: Robert Anderson: "ADSL and SDSL?"