TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: ADSL and SDSL?

Re: ADSL and SDSL?

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com)
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:30:42 -0000

T. Sean Weintz <strap@hanh-ct.org> wrote:

> Robert Anderson wrote:

>> Do you more reliably get the higher bandwidth with SDSL than with
>> ADSL?

>> For example, is the CIR higher with SDSL?

>> We are a very small business using VoIP and our connection is
>> ADSL. People have problems hearing us but not the other way around.

>> We were thinking of switching from ADSL over to SDSL, to see if that
>> helps.

>> Robert Anderson

> ADSL is asymmetrical

*not*necessarily*

> SDSL is symetrical

*not*necessarily*

As "commonly deployed", SDSL has same speed up and down, and ADSL has
mis-matched (almost invariably higher in the 'down' direction) speeds.

However, I have had "symmetric rate" ADSL, and "Asymmetric rate" SDSL,
service, at various times, from various providers. Not terribly
common, but such services do/did exist. :)

Go to Next message: Tim@Backhome.org: "Re: Man Dies Waiting for 911 to Arrive"
Go to Previous message: LB@notmine.com: "Re: A Silly Question - 2-Line Phone With One Phone Number?"
May be in reply to: Robert Anderson: "ADSL and SDSL?"