TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: XM Antenna Construction

Re: XM Antenna Construction

John Stahl (aljon@stny.rr.com)
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:21:47 -0500

> Does anyone know where I can find info on how to build a XM antenna?

There are some Internet sites which have various construction articles
regarding antenna fabrication and build. The XM satellite radio
service is in the 2.3GHz frequency band or about 13cm wavelength.

The Internet site: http://6mt.com/2304tech.htm, has several
interesting construction zipped files for omni-directional and wide
angle microwave antennas in the 9 - 13cm wavelength.

You must also take into consideration the fact the (both) XM (and its
competitor Sirus) both utilize additional terrestrial (ground based)
repeaters where "viewing" of the full sky isn't always practical -
like in big cities. Therefore, both radio types have dual antenna
inputs, each for different receiving antenna - two sets of
frequencies, hence different antenna designs. I really don't have much
info about the "terrestrial" frequencies.

Being that this application is either vehicular mobile or with the
newest XM radio designs, portable, I would really recommend that
commercial antennas be best for reliable reception. Figure it this
way: if you spend the big bucks for the receiver (and the monthly
expenditure for the service) to insure good reliable reception, use a
commercial antenna (available from multiple sources). The rule is
really: the output of your device is as good as its "cheapest"
(weakest) part ...

Hope this helps a bit.

John Stahl
Aljon Enterprises
CEA Certified MECP

Go to Next message: jmeissen@aracnet.com: "Re: Verizon Plans to Offer "Naked DSL" on 4/5 of its Wirelines"
Go to Previous message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: XM Antenna Construction"
May be in reply to: johndee: "XM Antenna Construction"