TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Satellite Radio Technology

Re: Satellite Radio Technology

Isaiah Beard (sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com)
Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:04:52 -0500

AES wrote:

> Haven't gotten clear answers yet from the alt.radio.satellite NG on a
> couple of very fundamental questions re satellite radio technology
> (Sirius or XM) so I'll venture to ask them here:

Will be glad to answer, as I am an XM subscriber.

> 1) If I purchase a subscription to one of these, does that mean _one_
> activated receiver per subscription? (Or can I be using one receiver
> say on the freeway and my family be using a couple of others at
> different locations in the house, on one basic monthly subscription.)

No, for both services, it's one subscription per radio. XM does offer
you a break on this though, as their "family plan" allows you to add
additional radios to your account for a reduced price ($6.99 per
month, as opposed to $9.99 per month). And if you have broadband at
home, there is the $3.99 option where XM's service is streamed over
the internet (Sirius offers something similar I believe, and it might
even be a free add-on).

> 2) Same question, but if I have one subscription and one activated
> receiver, can I pull multiple stations (or channels?) out of that
> receiver (using multiple "tuners" or "decoders" or whatever they're
> called) and feed these different audio signals into different rooms or
> headphones or audio channels?

Currently, none of the radios offered work in the way you would want.
they all are capable of tuning into just one channel at a time.

E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: A Child Learns a Harsh Lesson in Politics"
Go to Previous message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Update interval for E911 Records"
May be in reply to: AES: "Satellite Radio Technology"