TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Do Allow Under-9s to Use a Mobile

Re: Do Allow Under-9s to Use a Mobile

Daniel W. Johnson (panoptes@iquest.net)
1 Feb 2005 22:02:53 -0800

fake@fake.com wrote:

> Heating is not the only mechanism that can cause harm:

> At one time, X-Rays were considered safe for all, including pregnant
> women. And back then, they exposed you to a higher amount of
> radiation.

> Many people get a type of radiation burn that is so common we refer
> to it as "sunburn". I don't think this is caused by heating (but
> does require a lot more EM energy than cellphones produce.)

To determine the effects of EM radiation, you need to know two
parameters: intensity and frequency. Obviously, a higher intensity
corresponds to a greater effect. As for frequency, it is proportional
to the energy per photon, so a higher frequency (especially X-ray or
gamma ray) means greater penetration. There is also a possibility of
resonant effects at certain frequencies; I believe microwave ovens are
tuned to a frequency that resonates with water (but cellphones are
not).

When the above is taken into account, the conclusion is that your
average flashlight is more dangerous than a cellphone.

Go to Next message: Linc Madison: "Re: Do Allow Under-9s to Use a Mobile"
Go to Previous message: John Smith: "Re: Do Allow Under-9s to Use a Mobile"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page