TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: British TV License (was America the Worst For Cell Rates)

Re: British TV License (was America the Worst For Cell Rates)

Garrett Wollman (wollman@lcs.mit.edu)
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:46:52 UTC

In article <telecom24.44.9@telecom-digest.org>, Rob
<rob51166@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yes you would. You own a TV set capable of receiving BBC. Regardless
> of whether it's NTSC or otherwise it makes no difference these days
> with modern TV sets.

Most of the millions of NTSC-M TV sets sold in the world every year
would not have the slightest idea what to do with a PAL-I signal if
presented to them, and in any case couldn't even tune in the aural
carrier.[1]

-GAWollman

[1] System I uses an aural offset of +5.996 MHz, which is
(effectively) out of the IF passband for a system M tuner. That's not
even considering the difference between 6- and 8-MHz channel spacing
used in the R2 and R1/3 bandplans, respectively.

--
Garrett A. Wollman    | As the Constitution endures, persons in every
wollman@csail.mit.edu | generation can invoke its principles in their own

Go to Next message: John Smith: "Re: Do Allow Under-9s to Use a Mobile"
Go to Previous message: jtaylor: "Re: British TV License (was America the Worst For Cell Rates and"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page