TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: MF tones -- What, if Anything, Are They Still Used For?

Re: MF tones -- What, if Anything, Are They Still Used For?

Kenneth P. Stox (ken@stox.org)
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:43:06 GMT

silvas_clinch@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi everyone.

> I'm kind of curious about the MF tones I learned of recently, the ones
> that were used by the toll network of the 60's, 70's, and 80's to
> control how calls were routed.

> While I understand they are no longer used for call routing, are these
> tones still used today for other things, and if so, what? (I'm
> referring specifically to either the R1 or R2 tone plans, or something
> close to them.)

Modified R2 MF signaling was still in extensive use in Asia as of
1990. I suspect there is still a good bit of it in use in some
countries. Sorry I can't comment on the period since then, but in
1990, I regained my senses and ran as far away from international
inband signalling as I could. ;->

Go to Next message: Patrick Townson: "Last Laugh! Patrick Townsend, Food/Restaurant Critic"
Go to Previous message: Gary Novosielski: "Re: MF Tones -- What, if Anything, Are They Still Used For?"
May be in reply to: silvas_clinch@yahoo.com: "MF tones -- What, if Anything, Are They Still Used For?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page