TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: MF tones -- What, if Anything, Are They Still Used For?

MF tones -- What, if Anything, Are They Still Used For?

silvas_clinch@yahoo.com
22 Jan 2005 01:38:57 -0800

Hi everyone.

I'm kind of curious about the MF tones I learned of recently, the ones
that were used by the toll network of the 60's, 70's, and 80's to
control how calls were routed.

While I understand they are no longer used for call routing, are these
tones still used today for other things, and if so, what? (I'm
referring specifically to either the R1 or R2 tone plans, or something
close to them.)

Go to Next message: Creek: "Wireless versus Cordless for VOIP"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "FCC Powell and Commissioner Statements"
May be reply: William Warren: "Re: MF tones -- What, if Anything, Are They Still Used For?"
May be reply: Tim@Backhome.org: "Re: MF tones -- What, if Anything, Are They Still Used For?"
May be reply: Kenneth P. Stox: "Re: MF tones -- What, if Anything, Are They Still Used For?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page