TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans

Re: America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:44:18 -0500

paulcoxwell@tiscali.co.uk says:

>> Let's see. In the UK, you can't just go buy a TV, bring it home, and
>> turn it on. You must OWN A LICENSE, paid for to the crown, to receive
>> television entertainment. That's so ridiculous, it's amazing. What
>> are those people thinking.

>> And yet they put up with it.

> Yep, and that license fee (aka television tax) currently runs about
> $200 per year.

> But it gets worse. If you go into one of the big stores and buy a TV
> (or VCR, satellite receiver etc.) they are actually obliged by law to
> pass your name and address on to the TV Licensing Office,. And if
> there's no license registered there, you'll be subjected to the usual
> barrage of intimidating letters (unless you had the sense to pay cash
> and give a false address, of course).

> Here's the official TV Licensing website:

> http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/

> There is some opposition here however:

> http://www.tvlicensing.biz/

> Paul Coxwell
> Norfolk, England.

Meanwhile we in the U.S. get barraged with advertisements even when
we're paying upward of $600 a year for cable.

So who's getting ripped off?

Go to Next message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans"
Go to Previous message: Gene S. Berkowitz: "Re: Telephone Museum in Eugene, Oregon"
May be in reply to: kansaskon: "America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans"