TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Is This a Norwegian or Australian Number? Please Identify

Re: Is This a Norwegian or Australian Number? Please Identify

Linc Madison (lincmad@suespammers.org)
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:08:54 -0800

In article <telecom24.32.1@telecom-digest.org>, tom
<tom900@slidemail.com> wrote:

> Someone keeps calling me from this number: 6-189-734-2316
> Is this a Norwegian or Australian number?

Difficult to say for certain, but the digit count is correct for
Australia, specifically probably somewhere in or near Bunbury, Western
Australia. The correct parsing of the number, if it is Australian,
would be

+61 8 9734-2316, or (08) 9734-2316 in domestic format.

Before 1997, this number might've been +61 97 342316, or (097) 342316
in domestic format.

In brief, +61 2 covers New South Wales (Sydney) and A.C.T. (Canberra);
+61 3 covers Victoria (Melbourne) and Tasmania; +61 7 covers Queensland
(Brisbane); and +61 8 covers W.A., S.A., and N.T. There are a few minor
exceptions where the area code boundary doesn't exactly match the state
boundary, such as a portion of far western N.S.W. that is in +61 8
instead of +61 2.

For Norway, though, the digit count doesn't fit. A Norwegian number
should be of the form +47 XXXX XXXX. There might be a few non-standard
numbers shorter than that, but there shouldn't be anything longer. Is
there a particular reason you think it might be Norwegian?

Linc Madison * San Francisco, California * lincmad@suespammers.org
<http://www.LincMad.com> * primary e-mail: Telecom at LincMad dot com
All U.S. and California anti-spam laws apply, incl. CA BPC 17538.45(c)
This text constitutes actual notice as required in BPC 17538.45(f)(3).
DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED E-MAIL TO THIS ADDRESS. You have been warned.

Go to Next message: jmeissen@aracnet.com: "Re: Review: Microsoft Anti-Spyware Ineffective"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Is This a Norwegian or Australian Number? Please Identify"
May be in reply to: tom: "Is This a Norwegian or Australian Number? Please Identify"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page