TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Verizon Fios and its Effect on v.90 Modems?

Re: Verizon Fios and its Effect on v.90 Modems?

dtowntech (aklepp@yahoo.com)
4 Jan 2005 15:35:29 -0800

FIos is fiber from the Central office all the way to your door step. It
will creat the shortest analog conversion because it will be at your
door step. There is no other D/A conversion until you reach the
central office of the modem you are connceting to.

CharlesWGreenJr@NetScape.Net wrote:

> It looks like we'll soon be getting Verizon's fiber-to-the-premises on
> our street, so I can give up my Adelphia cable modem. In reading
> about other people's experiences, however, a thought has occurred to
> me:

> It is sometimes necessary for me to dial up via modem when my home
> broadband connection doesn't work, or there are VPN issues between my
> laptop and the workplace. It's my understanding that when people opt
> to have the fiber broadband brought to their house, it *replaces* the
> existing copper pairs which are currently serving my analog phone - a
> box is mounted outside the house, the fiber goes in, and broadband and
> phone connections come out and go into the house. (Somewhere in
> there, power and backup battery from the homeowner come into play as
> well.)

> I understand that v.90 gets its high-speed inbound capability when
> there is a pure digital path from the remote / server "modem" end all
> the way to a single D/A converter which serves the analog feed to the
> house. The shorter and cleaner the analog end, the better the modem
> does. And if there's another A/D - D/A stage in between, the v.90
> "magic" is lost.

> Does anyone know whether FTTP, at least for Verizon, means that the
> phone connection can now be pure digital all the way to my house, or
> is some sort of conversion performed on the signal before it gets to
> the neighborhood which might wreak havoc with v.90?

> Thanks,

> Charles Green

Go to Next message: (no name): "Vonage Offers Internet Users Wireless Phones"
Go to Previous message: Rick Merrill: "Re: AT&T and CallVantage Put Me Through Hell"
May be in reply to: CharlesWGreenJr@NetScape.Net: "Verizon Fios and its Effect on v.90 Modems?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page