TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: What Wal-Mart Knows About Customers' Habits

Re: What Wal-Mart Knows About Customers' Habits

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:06:17 -0500

In article <telecom23.564.5@telecom-digest.org>, devilspgd@crazyhat.net
says:

> In message <telecom23.562.9@telecom-digest.org>
> bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

>> There are *very* limited ways for a cashier to themselves steal cash
>> money 'from the store', and approximately _one_ way to steal from the
>> customers, with 'computerized' registers.

>> Doing multiple charges against a card is simply *not* one of them.
>> The audit trail catches it at the end-of-shift, or over-night, at
>> worst. And the records point directly to the perp.

> Sure. However, since the customer can request cash back it's another
> way to steal. The cashier fakes problems scanning an item, punches in
> the amount manually as cash, and gives the customer the item.

> The customer isn't over charged, so has no reason to complain.

> The cashier's till is now over -- Now she just needs to grab the cash
> at some point during the transaction.

Differences in transaction amounts show up on detail reports. I know --
I got really good at spotting manager screw ups for the small retail
chain I used to work for.