TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Use Comcast Cable Modem? Go to Jail! Judy Sammel's Experience

Re: Use Comcast Cable Modem? Go to Jail! Judy Sammel's Experience

Rick Merrill (RickMerrill@comTHROW.net)
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:49:53 GMT

dold@XReXXUseXC.usenet.us.com wrote:

> Rick Merrill <RickMerrill@comthrow.net> wrote:

>> I think there is a misconception about the "video trap" : it does NOT
>> cut out the video, but removes some video reflections so that said
>> reflections will not interfere with the cable modem! The "solution" to
>> your original problem was simply to Not Connect your TV to the
>> cable. - RM

> The video trap installed on my internet-only cable was described as
> blocking TV channels. It caused problems for my internet connection,
> and was "allowed" to be removed because the cable run went directly
> from the drop to my cable modem, and I could not attach a TV anywhere.

> Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5

There are several video traps installed on the analog signal. For
example, there is a narrow band one on-the-pole that blocks HBO. At
the house there can be another. All these "filters" go in BEFORE the
house connection. BUT NONE of those block ALL analog channels -- the
only way to do that is to unplug the TV.

However, with cable modem AND cable TV there is a short filter that
goes on the TV side and not on the Cable side. Therefore this gadget
is in the house. But if your TV is not connected, you don't need
it. If you do not have it, they can easily read the reflections and
tell that you are using the analog signal.

You were misinformed, or only partially informed. - RM

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Vonage Tech Support Dead?"
Go to Previous message: (no name): "Keeping Email Address Hidden in Digest"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page