TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: 'K' v. 'W' Television Station Callsigns

Re: 'K' v. 'W' Television Station Callsigns

Steve Crow (scrow@stevecrow.net)
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:23:49 GMT

>>> Louisiana and Minnesota both "straddle" the Mississippi River.

>> In my experience (mostly in cable TV), the Mississippi-River rule can be
>> more accurately stated as follows:

>> "K" = west of the Mississippi River plus the entire state of
>> Minnesota.

>> "W" = east of the Mississippi River plus Louisiana parishes
>> located in the Baton Rouge and New Orleans DMAs.

>> But even with this version of the rule there are numerous exceptions,
>> especially in the case of low-power television stations (LPTV, Class
>> A, translators, and boosters).

Do the same rules apply to radio stations as well? I would imagine so, but
what about KYW in Pennsylvania? According to:

http://www.kyw1060.com/stationinfo/station_history.cfm

... the station has moved several times (Chicago, Cleveland), but
appears to have maintained the same call sign even in moves across
state lines. Is this common?

Go to Next message: David I: "Re: Multi-link SR3 and Caller ID?"
Go to Previous message: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: Pennsylvania Victims Group"
May be in reply to: Neal McLain: "'K' v. 'W' Television Station Callsigns"