TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Beheaded Trolls, etc

Beheaded Trolls, etc

TELECOM Digest Editor (ptownson@telecom-digest.org)
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 20:00:36 EST

In a message in issue 537, palee@riteaid.com on Tue, 9 Nov 2004
10:51:44 -0500 responded to Editor Re: Who Sends This Around?

>> In TELECOM Digest V23 #536, our Esteemed Editor wrote (in part):

>> Anyone else know anything about this guy?

palee responded:

> All you need to know about this guy can be found at

> http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

I noted in response to palee:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I've a hard time accepting that fellow
> (at AOL) definition of 'trolling' or even if it is a valid thing. It
> seems to me that what many people call 'trolling' is nothing more
> than their explanation of why something they personally disagree with
> should not appear on the net. I've been called a 'troll' a few times
> and all I can say is that some of us speak and write the way we do
> because it is our personality. Some of us (most of us, I would hope!)
> write and express ourselves from our personal experiences, the fact
> that sometimes what we have to say offends the virgin ears, eyes and
> brains of some readers is an unfortunate by-product of that. The fact
> that some people are offensive in this way should not mean we should
> always dismiss them as a 'troll' rather than read what they have to
> say (or not). I am still curious to know if anyone has ever met this
> person or has some idea of his background, etc, other than just
> dismissing him as a 'troll'. PAT]

and Charles Cryderman <Charles.Cryderman@withheld at request>
responded in the same issue (537):

> Pat,

> First off, the way things are going, please remove my return
> e-mailaddress.

> Now on to my remarks. This guy is just plan nuts. I went and did a
> google on this and found his entire rant. Near the beginning he
> states:

> "PERVERTED FBI agents RAPED, TORTURED, SEXUALLY ABUSED ME for THREE
> YEARS and BEHEADED ME which is 10000 times worse than the SEXUAL ABUSE
> of prisoners by Lyndie England."

> Now I am no doctor or an expert on how the mind works but for some
> reason I have a hard time believing anything this joker had to
> say. This is because of this one paragraph. How many people do you
> know that can live to tell about themselves being "beheaded" Not many
> is my guess. Well to tell the truth, none.

> Chip Cryderman

Now my problem today is this: that phrase "and BEHEADED ME" did *not*
appear in the original text sent by what palee referred to as the
'troll'. The _original text_ as seen in mid-October and early November
versions of the message (and Google has a million copies of it on line
in their archives, it would seem) read like this " ...ABUSED ME for
THREE YEARS, which is 10000 tunes worse than the ..."

The first instance I found of the altered version of the message to
include ... and BEHEADED ME ... was November 6, in a message posted
to alt.hackers from 'eworly@vanadoo.fr' which altered the original
message posted by this user when they were known as 'vicky' on
the net and became 'keith'. In an update to the original diatribe
posted that day or earlier by 'keith' he explained why he changed his
email name from 'vicky' to 'keith'. It was because, he alleged, the
FBI had forced one or two ISPs to cancel his email password to 'get
even with him'. That copy of the updated (but still same old message)
I saw at the end of October did not have the 'beheaded me' comment in
it. The first reference I saw to 'beheaded' was in a reply/rebuttal
added to the thread in alt. hackers by eworly@vanadoo.fr where it
had been clevery edited in to the original sentence by *someone*,
and eworly@vanadoo.fr was the first person I could find who used
that altered phrase in quoting the message.

What you wish to make of the message (he is/is not a troll) (he is/ is
not a crazy person) is everyone's own judgement call. But, if you will
pardon me, it is just too damn bad when a person goes and sits in the
filthy, stinky toilet stall called "Usenet", and not content with what
someone else has scribbled on the wall has to cleverly edit it to make
it appear ridiculous, as it it were not ridiculous on its own merit,
prior to alteration. So if you wish to go read the message again,
please ignore that 'and BEHEADED ME' addition, which the original
author did *not* include.

PAT