TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: What Happened to Channel 1?

Re: What Happened to Channel 1?

Stanley Cline (sc1-news@roamer1.org)
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:17:53 -0400

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:30:23 -0500, PAT wrote:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I read your tinyurl page and it was
> quite interesting. I also tried your suggestion about an antenna on
> the television and over the air signals from Channel 4. I did *not*
> get anything different than what I got before (some hiss and snow with
> a very faint image.) However, if what you suggest is true about inter-
> ference from Coffeyville CC, then why isn't that also true of the guy
> who does the low power repeater of Trinity Broacasting on (I think)
> channel 22 or 23 here in Indy? Cable One does not block out that
> channel on account of him; in fact I think Trinity is on our cable 22.

"Cable" 22 and "UHF" 22 aren't at the same frequency at all. UHF 22
is approximately where cable 73 is (at around 470 MHz), while cable 22
is down around 170 MHz, near the bands used for VHF business radio,
pagers, etc. The only overlap between broadcast TV stations and cable
TV channels are in the 2-13 range, where VHF stations and cable
stations directly overlap, and in the very high cable channels (cable
65 and above), where UHF stations and cable stations overlap with 2
MHz of separation between them (i.e., the visual and aural carriers of
cable 65+ are 2 MHz below those of UHF 14+, with standard and HRC
cable frequency plans anyway.)

As for the channel 4 issue, my guess as to why Cable One isn't using
it now is that they used to use it for a premium channel such as HBO
using negative traps (which remove the signal of a given channel or
group of adjacent channels), and they moved HBO to another analog
channel or to digital and left channel 4 idle because reusing it for
something else would require visiting the homes of all current
customers who don't have HBO to remove traps. Comcast in the area
where my parents live (northwest Georgia a few miles south of
Chattanooga, TN) doesn't use channels 2 or 14 for the very same
reason ... to reuse them would require going around to thousands of
homes and removing "HBO" and "Showtime" traps.

Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might
be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune

Go to Next message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Verizon California Terminates ISDN, FX, Other Services"
Go to Previous message: Neal McLain: "Re: What Happened to Channel 1?"
May be in reply to: Andrea: "What Happened to Channel 1?"