TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: New Treo 650 Is Better Than Ever, But Rivals Offer Alternatives

New Treo 650 Is Better Than Ever, But Rivals Offer Alternatives

Monty Solomon (monty@roscom.com)
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 01:05:56 -0400

New Treo 650 Is Better Than Ever, But Rivals Offer Some Alternatives

By WALTER S. MOSSBERG

PalmOne's Treo smart phone has been the best combination of phone, PDA
and e-mail device on the market. It had a few key flaws, though, so
the company has now released a new, improved model, the Treo 650, to
be sold by Sprint starting next month.

But the rest of the industry is catching on to the idea of making a
phone that, like the Treo, actually has a full keyboard for banging
out e-mails. So the competition will be tougher for the new Treo than
it was for its predecessor.

Over the last week, I've been testing the new Treo 650, and comparing
it with two other PDA phones that have now morphed into models with
keyboards. One is the Microsoft-based Pocket PC phone. The other is
the Sony Ericsson P910 smart phone, based on the Symbian operating
system. I concentrated on the new keyboards in these two competitors
because that's their main new feature. I have already reviewed another
major Treo competitor, the new BlackBerry 7100t, sold by T-Mobile.

My verdict: The Treo is better than ever, but the two newest keyboard
phones, like the new BlackBerry, will give some new options to mobile
e-mail users who prefer different designs and different software.

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20041028.html

Go to Next message: Eric Tappert: "Re: Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "XM vs. IPod - XM's New Portable Satellite Radio"
May be reply: Owen P. Epstein: "Re: New Treo 650 Is Better Than Ever, But Rivals Offer Alternatives"
May be reply: dixie_drew@yahoo.com: "Re: New Treo 650 Is Better Than Ever, But Rivals Offer Alternatives"
May be reply: paz5559: "Re: New Treo 650 Is Better Than Ever, But Rivals Offer Alternatives"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page