TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence

Re: Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence

Carl Zwanzig (zbang@radix.net)
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:46:56 -0000

Matt <spammers@are.bad.com> wrote:

> The phone line for the caretaker and ONE of the two office
> lines experience a continual hum as well as a click, click, click,
> click, click, every time the electric fence fires off. The program
> director does not experience any known issue on his line, and the
> other line in the office is fine. I find this very odd, since both of
> the office lines come in (presumably) on the same cable?

Sounds like there's a ground on the line, somewhere down the line from
the premises. That would account for the hum and for picking up the
fence clicking.

> Any thoughts? Verizon is kinda stumped on this issue, so I'm
> trying to see if I can figure anything out to help them out. Does
> this sound like a grounding issue? If so is it at the demarc box? Or
> on a line some place? Why only one phone line and not the other?

Not too surprised ... A decent tech should be able to find it with a
'kicker' in short order. Of course, so should a test board.

z!

Go to Next message: Gary Breuckman: "Re: Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence"
May be in reply to: Matt: "Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence"