TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: What Happened to Channel 1?

Re: What Happened to Channel 1?

Herb Stein (herb@herbstein.com)
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:47:11 -0500

6 meter amateur 50-54 mhz.

Andrea <andrea8090@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Does anyone know the real reason American TVs don't utilize channel 1?
> I've read many conflicting theories.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I have always heard that Channel 1 was
> occupying frequencies used in the VHF-low area (30-50 mc band) and
> that *originally* (1940's) some of that spectrum was going to be taken
> away from the users of VHF-low band radio and given to television, but
> many people protested it, so rather than re-align the television
> channels to move Channel 1 a bit further up, the FCC simply abandoned
> it for television use. PAT]

Go to Next message: Fred Atkinson, WB4AEJ: "Re: What Happened to Channel 1?"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: What Happened to Channel 1?"
May be in reply to: Andrea: "What Happened to Channel 1?"