TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: VOIP Question

Re: VOIP Question

Sam Spade (sam@coldmail.com)
Tue, 03 Jul 2007 14:28:13 -0700

burris wrote:

> What happens to the telephone numbers that were ported if a VOIP
> provider goes out of business?

> Do they have to notify customers and allow them to switch carriers?

I've already heard some horror stories about trying to move a number out
of a VOIP that is in business.

Someone here probably knows the details better than I do, but it is
seems to have to do with your number being assigned to a third-party
when you ported it to the VOIP carrier. This is different than when
you port to a wireline or wireless carrier.

I would never port a "treasured" number to a VOIP carrier.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Neither would I, if the number meant
anything to me. The only number I care about is my (dial 9) for an
outside line, which relates to something special for me, and it has
traveled with me from Southwestern Bell through Prairie Stream and on
to Sage, my present carrier. My VOID line on Vonage at present, (or
dial 8 for long distance) is a number out of Winfield, KS
(620-402-0134) and Chicago-area (773-353-5067) is the number used for
incoming calls to this Digest, but I don't care that much about
keeping that specific number if I give up Vonage, which I may, when
Cable One comes through with phone service, as expected around the end
of July. Cable One will be VOIP also, and the 'ATA part' will be a
modem-based connection. PAT]

Go to Next message: Jennifer LeClaire, NewsFactor : "'DVD Jon' Cracks iPhone Activation"
Go to Previous message: T: "Re: Rain, Rain Everywhere"
May be in reply to: burris: "VOIP Question"