TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Touch Tone vs. Rotary -- Desk vs. Wall Sets?

Re: Touch Tone vs. Rotary -- Desk vs. Wall Sets?

Adrian (adrian_h_hudson@yahoo.com)
31 May 2007 15:41:50 -0700

On May 31, 7:09 am, Paul Coxwell <paul_coxw...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> P.S. While we're on the subject, would anyone know what percentage of
>> lines are still served by exclusively dial equipment? I don't think
>> they charge a premium for TT anymore. Also, many people have some old
>> rotary sets still in service (like me) even if their primary sets are
>> TT.

> Over here in the U.K. we didn't get TouchTone until the 1980s, but
> there was never any premium and it was made available on all lines
> automatically as soon as the C.O. equipment could handle it.

> All lines will still accept rotary/pulse dialing, at least regular "old
> fashioned" lines (some cable services might not). In fact the
> automated BT line test function still includes dial-tests for both DTMF
> and pulse.

> I still have rotary phones in service around the house, both Western
> Electric 500s and the old GPO 706 (nearest British equivalent of the
> WECo 500).

> Paul

Have you made any adjustments to your WECo 500s for compatibility with
the UK system?

Adrian

Go to Next message: Tom Horsley: "Re: Top Spammer Arrested; Watch for Decrease in Spam Mail"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Time Warner Digital Phone Question"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page