TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Why I Am Not Switching to Verizon

Re: Why I Am Not Switching to Verizon

Dave Garland (dave.garland@wizinfo.com)
Fri, 04 May 2007 15:45:55 +0000

It was a dark and stormy night when jmeissen@aracnet.com wrote:

> I thought the alphanumeric requirement was part of the
> standard.

From the wikipedia (which is far easier to read than the RFCs):
> According to RFC 2822, the local-part of the address may use any of
> these ASCII characters:

> * Uppercase and lowercase letters (case sensitive)
> * The digits 0 through 9
> * The characters ! # $ % & ' * + - / = ? ^ _ ` { | } ~

> * The character . provided that it is not the first or last
> character in the local-part.

> You're going to have a difficult time receiving email if your address
> includes non-alphanumeric characters.

Institutions that use a "firstname lastname" formula often use a
dot. It is true that occasionally some brain-dead tech forgets to
provide for the non-alphameric characters (I run into that maybe once
a year). And case sensitivity is discouraged because sometimes it
breaks things (including human memory).

Dave

Go to Next message: Matt Simpson: "Re: George the Jack Russell Terrior Dies a Hero Saving Chidren"
Go to Previous message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Why I Am Not Switching to Verizon"
May be in reply to: zalek: "Why I Am Not Switching to Verizon"