TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cellphone for 3 Week London/Germany Trip?

Re: Cellphone for 3 Week London/Germany Trip?

Mr Joseph Singer (joeofseattle@yahoo.com)
Sat, 21 Apr 2007 17:35:03 -0700 (PDT)

AES <siegman@stanford.edu> Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:32:48 -0700 wrote:

> Thanks for this and another similar reply, but is there really no
> simpler "one-stop-shopping" way to purchase or rent -- maybe on line,
> maybe at a local cellphone store at home, maybe at a store in the
> shopping area of the major international terminal on departure (SFO)
> or on arrival (LHR) -- a throwaway (or returnable) cellphone that
> "works straight out of the box" to use for 3 to 4 weeks of local use
> in the UK or Germany?

> I don't want to deal with eBay at any time; once I get to the UK, I
> don't want to have to "drop by a Carphone Warehouse" (I want to head
> straight to my hotel and crash!); and so on.>>

According to what I've been able to find out there's a Vodafone
facility in terminal 1 at LHR.

I don't know what's available at FRA (Frankfurt) or whichever airport
you intend to use in Germany. T-Mobile is the largest mobile provider
in Germany so there's a good likelihood that you can get a German SIM
there. You will still need an unlocked phone. Of course you can rent
a phone but the cost per day is huge. If cost is no object you can
rent a phone, but for what you pay in daily rentals for just a few
days if you provide your own phone you'll save a lot of money.

Another alternative for you is to use a service such as Telestial
http://telestial.com . Not only do they sell prepaid service for many
countries they also will sell you a compatible phone as well. You do
pay for the convenience. Where you might get a local SIM package in
the UK for GBP 5 Telestial will charge you $40. In Germany where you
may get a local SIM card package for 10 Euros you'll pay close to $50
for a prepaid package there. Telestial will charge you $150 - $500
for a phone from them where you can get a used serviceable model
through used channels such as eBay for $20 or so. Telestial *is*
convenient and you'll have your foreign number with you prior to your
leaving the states as well. As I said you pay a hefty price for
convenience.

Telestial is the company that I've named and have used, but there are
other companies who do the same sort of service as well. Check google
for other sellers of international SIM cards.

Maybe there's an idea for a new business here.

Go to Next message: Leslie Cauley, USA Today: "The Truth Found Out: Vonage Has no 'Work Around' To Patent Dispute"
Go to Previous message: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: Cellphone for 3 Week London/Germany Trip?"
May be in reply to: AES: "Cellphone for 3 Week London/Germany Trip?"