TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Utah Proposes Requiring Wireless Passwords

Re: Utah Proposes Requiring Wireless Passwords

Sam Spade (sam@coldmail.com)
Fri, 20 Apr 2007 07:00:04 -0700

Brock Vergakis wrote:
> By BROCK VERGAKIS

> SALT LAKE CITY --In an effort to keep teenagers with laptop computers
> from driving around neighborhoods in search of a wireless Internet
> connection to look at pornography, state lawmakers are considering a
> proposal that would force homeowners to limit access to their wireless
> networks with a password.

> The proposed legislation comes from Cheryl Preston, an Internet law
> professor at the Mormon church's Brigham Young University. She's
> developed several proposals designed to keep children from seeing
> pornography on the Web.

> Legislators began considering them Wednesday.

> "If you choose to have wireless, and allow anyone within a geographic
> area (to access it), then you ought to be responsible for that and you
> need to take reasonable efforts to prevent access by minors to your
> service," Preston said.

> Under Preston's proposal, anyone who unintentionally failed to block
> access to their network would be fined. Intentionally leaving a
> wireless network open to minors would be considered the same as
> publishing pornography.

> The proposal also says that anyone who wants to leave a wireless
> network open could do so if they used a filtering program that blocks
> pornography.

> Preston has another proposal under which Utah's Internet service
> providers could be rewarded for filtering out pornography before it
> ever reaches homes, businesses, schools or telephones in this state.

> Under the proposal, Utah-based Internet service providers would be
> designated as "community conscious" by state government if they
> require that its Internet users don't publish obscene material, take
> down obscene material and comply with court orders to remove any
> prohibited content. She said tax incentives could also be offered to
> companies that participate in the program.

> "If you're a Utah provider we'll give you a designation that you can
> use in your advertising that you're an ISP that's chosen to (be)
> helpful in eliminating pornography. If you choose not to do that,
> great. But the citizens in Utah will be made aware," she said.

Are the Mormons being silly or dangerous with this one?

Go to Next message: Sam Spade: "Re: BlackBerry Back Up, Questions Linger"
Go to Previous message: hg.offshore@gmail.com: "Question About VOIP Telephony"
May be in reply to: Brock Vergakis, Reuters: "Utah Proposes Requiring Wireless Passwords"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page