TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Phone Call Routing

Re: Phone Call Routing

Sam Spade (sam@coldmail.com)
Wed, 07 Mar 2007 05:51:24 -0800

Nothing personal, but I have to chuckle at this one.

The switched public network has been around in its present form since
the 1950s. Before that it was similar and evolved into the nationwide,
and then worldwide automatic network.

There has been huge amounts of material published on the technical
workings of the telephone system

You would learn a lot more my doing a bit of research rather than
posting such a query here.

John Schmerold wrote:

> How are phone calls routed and who is responsible for what?

> I understand what happens when I plug http://www.google.com into my web
> browser, my computer connects to a name server, it contacts its name
> server until the IP address is determined. Then my router contacts its
> router until I'm connected to Google.

> When it comes to phone calls I'm baffled. When I pick up the handset
> at the house to call my brother's house across the street, they may or
> may not both be in the same switch, handled by the same carrier,
> delivered via the same physical connections.

> Who is responsible for this routing and how does one go about protecting
> the route to your phone number.

> The point of this exercise is performance and security.

> 1. Performance
> When we get VOIP service from a supplier, how can we determine
> their ability to perform. On a simple level, we can ping their SIP
> server. Fast, consistent ping may mean good service. However we don't
> know if we just connecting to a sip server that connects to another sip
> server that may or may not have a good connection.

> 2. Security

> What if our supplier goes out of business? How do we get our number?
> How long does it take? etc etc.

Go to Next message: Charles Gray: "Re: Unlisted Phone Number"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: 511 Traffic Phone Lines May Raise Crash Risk"
May be in reply to: John Schmerold: "Phone Call Routing"