TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Florida Retiree Wins Cell Phone Bill Fight

Florida Retiree Wins Cell Phone Bill Fight

Mr Joseph Singer (joeofseattle@yahoo.com)
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 17:07:28 PST

SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) -- A 77-year-old retiree has won a two-month
battle with a cell phone company over bills for about $31,000 in calls
from Nicaragua he says he never made.

Oliver DeSofi's Cingular Wireless bill from November listed more than
$21,420 in roaming charges for more than 4,000 calls made from his
phone from Nicaragua. When he contacted Cingular about the charges,
DeSofi learned there were already $9,554 in similar charges on his
next bill.

The former bank executive said his bill was normally about $150 -- he
has never been to Nicaragua.

"I told them this is impossible," DeSofi said.

DeSofi complained of fraud, but Cingular disagreed and tried to
collect the money, the Sarasota Herald-Tribune reported Saturday.

Cingular canceled DeSofi's account, saying its fraud department did
not find any problems with the account. The company reversed its
decision after a Herald-Tribune inquiry on Thursday.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Cell-Phone-Fraud.html?_r=1&oref=slogin