TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Bill Gates Unveils Windows Home Server at the 2007 International

Re: Bill Gates Unveils Windows Home Server at the 2007 International

Gary Breuckman (puma@catbox.com)
Fri, 12 Jan 2007 05:37:44 GMT

> 1. Find a beat up old PC that used to run Windows 98.
> 2. Buy a SATA card and two SATA 160GB HD's for under $250
> 3. Install in system obtained in step 1
> 4. Download Debian Sarge (Or Centos if your tastes run Red Hat)
> 5. If Debian, apt-get install samba
> 6. Setup your Samba shares.

I'm not sure you would even need a server anymore, look into the many
small NAS (Network Assisted Storage) boxes out there now. Use the
box, hard drives, and connect to the network.

For example, Netgear has the SC-101 for about $120, the box takes one
or two IDE hard drives, it can mirror the drives, combine them into
one large drive, or just use one drive. The drives can be partitioned
if you want, partitions can be shared with the network and password
protected if you like.

-- Gary Breuckman

Go to Next message: Mark Crispin: "Re: NY Times Plans Major Job Cutback"
Go to Previous message: T: "Re: Article: T1 Connections Provide Unparalleled Data Transfer"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Bill Gates Unveils Windows Home Server at the 2007 International"