TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Bill Gates Unveils Windows Home Server at the 2007 International

Re: Bill Gates Unveils Windows Home Server at the 2007 International

RJ (rj_nospam@hotmail.com)
Fri, 12 Jan 2007 23:12:11 -0500

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 05:37:44 GMT, Gary Breuckman <puma@catbox.com>
wrote:

>> 1. Find a beat up old PC that used to run Windows 98.
>> 2. Buy a SATA card and two SATA 160GB HD's for under $250
>> 3. Install in system obtained in step 1
>> 4. Download Debian Sarge (Or Centos if your tastes run Red Hat)
>> 5. If Debian, apt-get install samba
>> 6. Setup your Samba shares.

> I'm not sure you would even need a server anymore, look into the many
> small NAS (Network Assisted Storage) boxes out there now. Use the
> box, hard drives, and connect to the network.

The server solution is okay, but when I had the chance to get a LAN
server case for a 3.5 HD for $50 I jumped on it. Much better, with
around a 1x6" footprint on my work table.

RJ

Go to Next message: Rick Merrill: "Re: Making Voice Mail More Like Email"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Apple Waves Its Wand at the Phone"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Bill Gates Unveils Windows Home Server at the 2007 International"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page