TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Remembering the Great Telco Fire, May, 1988

Re: Remembering the Great Telco Fire, May, 1988

T (nospam.kd1s@cox.nospam.net)
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 22:27:31 -0400

In article <telecom26.176.10@telecom-digest.org>, paule@nospam-
mindspring.com says:

> Fortunately the company I worked for in the Chicago suburbs (708 area
> code) had one line with a 312 area code. I think the owner kept one
> line with a 312 number so that our downtown Chicago customers could
> call our suburban offices without paying a metered rate. That single
> 312 phone number was a lifesaver for the company during the outage.
> There was a special term for that line with the out-of-area code.
> Does anyone know?

It's known as an FX line, or Foreign Exchange. I remember when I lived
in North Providence and got stuck with a Pawtucket rate center. I was
wracking up some serious toll charges to hit a BBS in East Greenwich,
RI. So I finally broke down and got an FX for the other exchange in
North Providence that was part of the Providence rate center.

Go to Next message: Ron Kritzman: "Re: Remembering the Great Telco Fire, May, 1988"
Go to Previous message: Neal McLain: "Re: Power and Cable TV Outages"
May be in reply to: TELECOM Digest Editor: "Remembering the Great Telco Fire, May, 1988"