TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Welsh Operators Keep it English

Re: Welsh Operators Keep it English

mc (look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address)
Tue, 8 May 2007 23:43:17 -0400

John Mayson <john@mayson.us> wrote in message

> http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/2007/05/08/welsh_operators_keep_it_english/

> CARDIFF, Wales, May 8 (UPI) -- Telephone operators in Wales are
> being told not to greet callers in the country's native tongue because
> the language may damage vocal chords."

> How bad does your language have to be that merely speaking it can
> damage your vocal chords?

I am a linguist, and I can assure you that I've never heard of a language
damaging vocal cords! Such a language would immediately change into one
that doesn't, since children of each generation learn only what they can
hear.

Journalistic hoax?

Go to Next message: William Warren: "Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?"
Go to Previous message: Mike Z: "Re: Cingular, AT&T ?"
May be in reply to: John Mayson: "Welsh Operators Keep it English"