TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: A Shameful Surrender to Pornographers

Re: A Shameful Surrender to Pornographers

heelios@avicora.com
1 May 2007 03:54:46 -0700

You have to understand that this bill wouldn't affect porn sites based
outside the United States. All this would create is an exodus to
Norway or Russia or wherever. The US would be losing the online porn
industry while the children would remain just as unsafe.

On Apr 30, 1:14 pm, Cathy Ruse, Christian Science Monitor
<c...@telecom-digest.org> wrote:

> from the April 02, 2007 edition -http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0402/p09s01-coop.html

> A shameful surrender to pornographers:

> To protect kids, why can't we require porn sites to check IDs?
> By Cathy Ruse

> Arlington, Va.

> Another federal judge has struck down the Child Online Protection Act.
> Had it taken effect, the 1998 law would have done one simple thing:
> require Internet pornographers to verify the age of customers through
> the use of adult-access codes or credit cards.

> Last month, Judge Lowell Reed Jr ruled out even this basic measure of
> accountability as a violation of the free-speech rights of porn
> purveyors and their often addicted customers.

> Adding insult to injury, he said he was doing it for the kids:
> "Perhaps we do the minors of this country harm if First Amendment
> protections, which they will with age inherit fully, are chipped away
> in the name of their protection." So, by protecting the right of smut
> peddlers to exploit my daughter, Mr. Reed is actually protecting her
> right to exploit other children when she's an adult. The logic, and
> the arrogance, is breathtaking.

> The Internet has revolutionized the way Americans conduct their daily
> lives. All kinds of pornography -- from puerile convenience-store fare
> to pornographic images of violence and depravity surpassing the worst
> excesses of normal human imagination -- are now just a click away.

> Indeed, children are accessing pornography at a previously unmatched
> rate and with unparalleled ease. A recent study published in the
> journal Pediatrics showed that 42 percent of children ages 10 to 17
> had been exposed to online pornography in the past year; 66 percent of
> the exposure was "unwanted."

> Aware of its authority to regulate interstate commerce and of its
> compelling interest in protecting children, Congress has tried for
> more than 10 years to place restrictions on the distribution of online
> pornography, but each attempt has been struck down in the courts.

> Reed's ruling, which excuses online pornographers even from having to
> check identification, is based on his view that today's software
> filters would be more effective at protecting children. There is a
> fundamental flaw in this reasoning that time and again has killed
> congressional efforts to address a profound social problem.

> First Amendment law requires that, when government seeks to promote a
> compelling interest, the means used must restrict the least speech
> possible. In this case, the government's interest is protecting
> children from Internet pornography, the "speech" is pornography, and
> the restriction is the ID check.

> Reed objected to requiring pornographers to restrict their "speech" in
> this temporary way because of the existence of software filters. But
> inherent in a least-restrictive-means analysis is the expectation that
> the "means" are actions taken by the government, not by private
> [...]

Go to Next message: John Mayson: "Re: Last Laugh! Telecom New Zealand Tells Woman Her Name is Gay"
Go to Previous message: jmeissen@aracnet.com: "Re: A Shameful Surrender to Pornographers"
May be in reply to: Cathy Ruse, Christian Science Monitor: "A Shameful Surrender to Pornographers"