TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cellphone for 3 Week London/Germany Trip?

Re: Cellphone for 3 Week London/Germany Trip?

Mr Joseph Singer (joeofseattle@yahoo.com)
Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:30:20 PDT

AES <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:

> Advice on acquiring cellphone for 3 or 4 week trip to London, then
> Germany?

> * Primarily just for a few occasional local calls while in
> those countries -- not for calls back home to U.S.

> * Low total cost; no further use afterward.

> * Acquire it here? Or after arrival in London?

> [Doubt that my low-end Verizon/Samsung cellphone here is
> upgradeable.]

You need to get an unlocked dual band GSM phone capable of 900 and/or
1800 Mhz or an unlocked triband GSM phone capable of at least 900 and
1800 Mhz.

When in Germany you can get a prepaid account for as little as 10
sometimes with as much as 10 credit.

When in the UK you can get a prepaid account for as little as 5 with
5 credit.

Your Verizon mobile which is CDMA is totally incompatible with what's
used in Europe. Dual band GSM phones can be obtained via eBay. You
may be able to get a phone for as cheap as $20.

Go to Next message: John Levine: "Re: Cellphone for 3 Week London/Germany Trip?"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "BlackBerry Outage Poses Questions For RIM"
May be in reply to: AES: "Cellphone for 3 Week London/Germany Trip?"