TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Fred Phelps Fax Machine Antics

Re: Fred Phelps Fax Machine Antics

William Warren (w_warren_nonoise@comcast.net)
Thu, 05 Apr 2007 17:29:52 -0400

William Warren wrote:

> editor wrote:

>> Dear Mr. Townson:

>> I am employed as a spokesperson and administrator for Sweden's royal
>> family. Is it possible that your newsletter readers can help? I can
>> confirm that American preacher Rev Fred Phelps has been faxing hate
>> messages to us frequently, calling us 'gay faggots' and worse.

> [snip]

> Pat,

> The best advice to give Nina is to work through the U.S. State
> department, which is responsible for such matters: I'm sure the Swedish
> Royal Family has access to the equivalent government bureau in Sweden,
> so her best option is to involve them.
>
> William
>
> (Filter noise from my address for direct replies)
>
> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I am afraid, William, this has gone far
> beyond the point of no-return. You see, the United States has a big
> problem with the First Amendment getting in the way.

Pat,

I assume that you have verified Nina's bona fides, so I'll skip that
step.

Whether the First Amendment is "getting in the way" is _not_ yet
resolved: foreign dignitaries may be entitled to treaty protections
which override the U.S. Constitution.

In any case, where a king is involved, I assume that the State
Department is willing to negotiate a solution which avoids further
publicity and possible legal action. After all, diplomacy is what they
do for a living.

William

(Filter noise from my address for direct replies)

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Nina is a known person. Apparently, it
has been resolved thus far this way: if Fred goes into Sweden, he will
be arrested as a public nuisance or a 'hate monger'. Being a public
nuisance or a hate monger is not an extraditable offense as of yet. PAT]

Go to Next message: John C. Fowler: "Re: Fred Phelps Fax Machine Antics"
Go to Previous message: Fred Atkinson: "Re: Fred Phelps Fax Machine Antics"
May be in reply to: editor: "Fred Phelps Fax Machine Antics"