TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Not So Fast, Broadband Providers Tell Big Users

Re: Not So Fast, Broadband Providers Tell Big Users

T (nospam.kd1s@cox.nospam.net)
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 22:31:16 -0400

In article <telecom26.70.2@telecom-digest.org>, monty@roscom.com says:

> Firms impose limits even as demand rises
> By Carolyn Y. Johnson, Globe Staff | March 12, 2007

> Amanda Lee of Cambridge received a call from Comcast Corp. in December
> ordering her to curtail her Web use or lose her high-speed Internet
> connection for a year.

> Lee, who said she had been using the same broadband connection for
> years without a problem, was taken aback. But when she asked what the
> download limit was, she was told there was no limit, that she was just
> downloading too much.

> Then in mid-February, her Internet service was cut off without further
> warning.

> For Lee and an increasing number of people, a high-speed Internet
> connection is a lifeline to everyday entertainment and communication.
> Television networks are posting shows online; retailers are lining up
> to offer music and movie downloads; thousands of Internet radio
> stations stream music; more people are using WiFi phones; and "over
> the top TV," in which channels stream over the Internet, is predicted
> to grow.

> That means that more customers may become familiar with Comcast's
> little-known acceptable-use policy, which allows the company to cut
> off service to customers who use the Internet too much. Comcast says
> that only .01 percent of its 11.5 million residential high-speed
> Internet customers fall into this category.

> http://www.boston.com/business/personaltech/articles/2007/03/12/not_so_fast_broadband_providers_tell_big_users/

Comcast sucks, and not in a good way. Every person I know that has
Comcast can't wait until Verizon gets FIOS into their area.

When someone is willing to jump into the waiting arms of a company
that's screwed them over for years, you know that Comcast really stinks.

Go to Next message: Ken Li/Michele Gershberg: "Viacom in $1 Billion Copyright Suit versus Google and YouTube"
Go to Previous message: f@u.washington.edu: "Re: Name of Calling Feature"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Not So Fast, Broadband Providers Tell Big Users"