TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Unlisted Phone Number

Re: Unlisted Phone Number

Fred Atkinson (fatkinson@mishmash.com)
Thu, 08 Mar 2007 07:24:43 -0500

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 08:02:45 -0600, Charles Gray
<charles.gray@okstate.edu> wrote:

> Unless something has changed recently, you can have a phone number
> "unlisted unpublished", which means that it won't be printed in the
> phone directory and directory assistance will not give it out. You
> can have an "unpublished" number, which means that DA will give it
> out, but it won't be printed in the directory. I don't know if the
> charges are/were different or not. I've always had mine "unlisted
> unpublished".

I had a friend years ago who had the solution. He had his number
listed as 'Jack Daniels' and only told people he wanted to call him
about that. When he'd get telemarketing calls asking for Mr.
Daniels, he knew to immediately hang up.

That was a way around paying extra for an unlisted number.

Regards,

Fred

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: That's not a bad idea; I have had my
telephone listed in the name of one of my cats (under 'K' as in
Katz, yet) for a long time. Occassionally, however, if the name is
'too ridiculous sounding' telco sometimes requires you to send them
some proof of your name, such as a copy of driver's license, etc. I
also knew someone, years ago, who would always ask for a 'default
listed number' but do so a day or two after the directory publisher
had closed the entries for another year. So, he would never manage
to actually get himself listed in the phone directory, which was his
intent. PAT]

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Unlisted Phone Number"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "Clearwire IPO Brings in $600 Million"
May be in reply to: Patricia Pascale: "Unlisted Phone Number"