TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Telephone Area Codes and Prefixes

Re: Telephone Area Codes and Prefixes

Neal McLain (nmclain@annsgarden.com)
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 00:07:31 -0500

PAT wrote:

> Zeros in the first (thousands) position were always 'oh' and
> whenever they appeared in the other three positions when
> non-repetitive they were also 'oh'. When they repeated in the two
> final positions, they were to be pronounced 'hundred'. If the
> second, third and fourth positions were all zeros then they were
> pronounced 'thousand'.

So how would they pronounce 201-200-0000?

Maybe "two-oh-one two hundred oh-thousand"?
Or maybe "two-oh-one two-million"?

Yes, that's a valid number. It's a fax in the Criminal Justice Department =
at New Jersey City University. http://tinyurl.com/2xuyep

Neal McLain

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: In the instances of four zeros being
idle in Chicago a few years ago, we were told 'oh! oh! oh! oh!' I do
not know what they would do with six zeros in a row idle, as in the
example you gave. I am sure most all telcos do it the same way (there
seems to be some underlying utility organization to which all of them
belong for equipment and services; otherwise, why do you suppose _all_
special dialing codes are the same in all parts of the country
regardless of telco; why would they otherwise all come to the same
agreement on such a thing?), so with that premise in mind that what
goes for one of them goes for all, try various area codes followed
by 2 and six more zeros; you are bound to find at least a few not in
service along the way; my thinking is they will always say 'oh! oh!
oh! oh!' on the final four at least. PAT]

Go to Next message: Neal McLain: "Re: Party Line Dialing"
Go to Previous message: Neal McLain: "Sirius and XM Announce Merger"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page