TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Violence Prompts Wisconsin School Cell Phone Ban

Re: Violence Prompts Wisconsin School Cell Phone Ban

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
29 Jan 2007 08:13:00 -0800

On Jan 28, 12:35 am, Carrie Antlfinger, AP <a...@telecom-digest.org>
wrote:

> Two years ago, a fighting student used his cell phone twice in a
> matter of weeks to summon two carloads of family members, Pochowski
> said.

> Jamilynn Brushel, 18, a senior at Bradley Tech, said she would rather
> see stricter security guards and teachers, because students who want
> to fight will do so even without cell phones.

Yes, cell phones could aggravate a lousy situation as described above.

But cell phones didn't cause the basic problem nor will a ban on them
cure it.

The real problem that must be dealt with is why people are getting
into these nasty fights in the first place. Fighting is wrong. A
secondary concern is the idea of calling in family reinforcements.
That suggests a very bad family attitude that needs to be addressed.
It would seem to me if a fight broke out I'd use a cell phone to call
the cops, not call for more fighters.

Kids who want to fight have found ways long before cell phones.
Rumors of a big "rumble" would circulate well in advance.

The administrators need to deal with their gangs and violent prone
students.

Go to Next message: Dave Garland: "Re: DA Wants to Restrict Pre-Paid Cell Phones"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "Deutsche Telekom Lowers 2007 Earnings"
May be in reply to: Carrie Antlfinger, AP : "Violence Prompts Wisconsin School Cell Phone Ban"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page