TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: My Space Sues Colorado Man for Spamming

Re: My Space Sues Colorado Man for Spamming

Mark Crispin (MRC@cac.washington.edu)
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 17:18:55 -0800

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Mark Crispin replied to TELECOM Digest Editor
regards this subject:

> You know, Mark, it gets really irritating listening to you and the
> other spam enablers continually apologizing for ICANN's so-called
> limitations. And everything is always someone else's fault, which
> is the main reason spam/scam is at an all-time high on the net; the
> fact that spam enablers like yourself REFUSE to use realistic
> approaches to stopping it. Why don't you begin trying to work along
> with other netizens instead of continually throwing up road blocks
> everywhere? PAT]

The earmark of a crackpot is to accuse others of being "spam enablers".
You know nothing about what I have done (and do on an ongoing basis) to
fight spam. Yet you seem to have no compunction about flinging dung as if
you were a chimpanzee at the zoo.

It may give you emotional satisfaction, but all you accomplish is to make
people ignore you.

You should be glad that ICANN has no authority to do as you suggest. Not
long ago, Illinos District Court judge Charles Kocoras ruled that UK
anti-spam organization spamhaus.org was "under Illinois jurisdiction",
ordered Spamhaus to pay David Linhardt (a notorious Chicago spammer) $11.7
million, and actually considered ordering ICANN to pull Spamhaus' DNS
record. As ICANN stated in
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-10oct06.htm

"Even if ICANN were properly brought before the court in this matter,
which ICANN has not been, ICANN cannot comply with any order requiring it
to suspend or place a client hold on Spamhaus.org or any specific domain
name because ICANN does not have either the ability or the authority to do
so. Only the Internet registrar with whom the registrant has a contractual
relationship -- and in certain instances the Internet registry -- can
suspend an individual domain name."

If matters were otherwise, you might have the people who you "last laugh"
turning around and getting court orders to have telecom-digest and/or
comp.dcom.telecom deleted.

Never, ever, overlook the Law Of Unintended Consequences.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Go to Next message: John Levine: "Re: My Space Sues Colorado Man for Spamming"
Go to Previous message: T: "Re: Is Your Telephone AC Power Dependent?"
May be in reply to: Gary Gentile, AP : "My Space Sues Colorado Man for Spamming"