TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: NY Times Plans Major Job Cutback

Re: NY Times Plans Major Job Cutback

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
16 Jan 2007 16:06:45 -0800

Mark Crispin wrote:

> There's a big difference between covering every tiny town meeting, and
> no coverage or condescending coverage ("where all the girls are either
> pregnant or look like they will soon become pregnant") of the suburbs
> where most of their readership lives.

Did a newspaper actually say that? If so, in what context?

> A newspaper that purports to be a regional paper should cover at least
> the local 5-digit population bedroom communities, and not treat them
> as if they were a 2-digit population farming community 100 miles away.

Major newspapers I've seen, including the NYT, do that pretty well.
However, they're still losing readership.

> It's been a long time since I last looked through the Sunday NY Times, but
> as I recall much of its bulk was advertising.

The bulk of newspapers has always been advertising.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: With a bit of luck, local news from New
York City gets covered in NY Times ... maybe. They do not do a very
good job of covering local, NYC news, but they are not bad -- if a
little bit of liberal bias is okay -- on national and international
news. PAT]

Go to Next message: Reuters News Wire: "Interpol Launches Task Force on Child Sex Abuse"
Go to Previous message: Garrett Wollman: "Re: NY Times Plans Major Job Cutback"
May be in reply to: Reuters News Wire: "NY Times Plans Major Job Cutback"