TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Making Voice Mail More Like Email

Re: Making Voice Mail More Like Email

Rick Merrill (rick0.merrill@NOSPAM.gmail.com)
Sat, 13 Jan 2007 13:28:36 -0500

Monty Solomon wrote:

> BY KATHERINE BOEHRET

> Despite spam and other problems, email is highly useful and
> effective. You can quickly send and receive messages, delete or
> forward them, and save them for reading at a later time. A glance at
> your inbox can tell you a lot about each message, including its
> subject, sender and the time it was received.

> But voice mail lags behind in key ways. A voice mail still doesn't
> tell you the caller's name or reason for calling unless you listen to
> at least part of it. You usually can't reply to a voice mail with a
> message of your own, as with email; instead, you must call the person
> back. And you can't easily jump from the most recent voice mail to the
> 10th without listening to every message in between.

I get "voice mail" from ATT CallVantage and it ID's the person
and the phone number by sending the WAV file as an email attachment.

> Still, voice mail has its place. A phone call is much more personal
> than an email, and lets you use vocal inflection to express your

That's just tautological!

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: NY Times Plans Major Job Cutback"
Go to Previous message: RJ: "Re: Bill Gates Unveils Windows Home Server at the 2007 International"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Making Voice Mail More Like Email"