TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: ICANN Will Create '.xxx' Porn Domain

Re: ICANN Will Create '.xxx' Porn Domain

Rick Merrill (rick0.merrill@NOSPAM.gmail.com)
Tue, 09 Jan 2007 12:39:16 -0500

Dan Lanciani wrote:

> ap@telecom-digest.org (Anick Jesdanun, Associated Press) wrote:

>> ICM believes the domain would help the $12 billion online porn
>> industry clean up its act, as those using it must abide by rules
>> designed to bar such trickery as spamming and malicious scripts.

> It's a shame we can't have rules like that for existing domains ...

Why the fuss about "domains"? There's tons of free stuff on Usenet
and no one wants to regulate that.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Well, yes we do, if the 'free stuff on
Usenet' amounts to secret, hidden viruses or spam built into the 'free
stuff'. But, the vast majority of the 'free stuff on Usenet' only
applies to the recipient of same, where 'domains' on the other hand
sre specifically intended as places for others to visit. I can (not
as easily as I would like) control what 'free stuff' does to my own
computer, where when I choose to visit a 'domain' if there is any
malevolent stuff hidden there, it often times gets installed without
asking me to do anything, i.e. no 'tip off' about what is coming next.

Now, as I stated here yesterday, ICANN and its various supporters
_could_ crack down severely on all the domains and the crapola which
is sent out to the public, but they don't want to, and they'll (or
mainly their supporters) can give you thousands of reasons why ICANN
should not be held to account for the general mess we refer to as the
'net' these days, but believe me, if any of them gave an iota one way
or another (and didn't have their own vested interests) things would
be a lot different. PAT]

Go to Next message: Mr Joseph Singer: "Re: HTML newsletter (was Re: Telecom Update #561 (Cana"
Go to Previous message: B. Wright: "Re: Off Topic: Teens Same Worldwide: [Movie, Texting, Cell Phones]"
May be in reply to: Anick Jesdanun, Associated Press: "ICANN Will Create '.xxx' Porn Domain"