TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Robots Will Get Same Rights as Humans

Re: Robots Will Get Same Rights as Humans

Rick Merrill (rick0.merrill@NOSPAM.gmail.com)
Sun, 31 Dec 2006 20:35:17 -0500

David Wolff wrote:

> In article <telecom25.429.4@telecom-digest.org>, Scott Dorsey
> <kludge@panix.com> wrote:

>> If a system passes the Turing test, does it deserve the same rights as
>> a human being?
>
>> If so, what about people who do not pass the Turing test? Do they
>> deserve the rights they currently have?

>> As Eliza always said, "Tell me more about the Turing test."
>> --scott

> I think _Analog_ (analogsf.com) had a story like this a year or two
> ago.

> If you couldn't pass the Turing test, you weren't allowed to vote.
> Think about it. If you can't convince a human being that *you're* a
> human being ...

> Thanks --

> David

> (Remove "xx" to reply.)

I once failed the touring test myself ...

mc wrote:

> Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message

>> If a system passes the Turing test, does it deserve the same rights
>> as a human being?

> No, because the Turing test is arbitrary and rather silly. It is not
> based on any real theory of what consciousness is. ELIZA passed a
> Turing test of sorts. Turing meant it only as a minimum threshold.

>> If so, what about people who do not pass the Turing test? Do they
>> deserve the rights they currently have?

>> As Eliza always said, "Tell me more about the Turing test."

> ELIZA is a better conversationalist than some people at parties!

ELIZA was so good people did not want you reading over their shoulder!

Go to Next message: Rick Merrill: "Re: China's Internet Out of Order Until January 15"
Go to Previous message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Anti-Spam Tool Going Out of Business"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page