TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Robots Will Get Same Rights as Humans

Re: Robots Will Get Same Rights as Humans

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
27 Dec 2006 07:39:10 -0800

Sharon Gaudin wrote:

> A report out of the U.K. contends that in about 50 years, robots will
> be given the same rights as humans and even will be expected to vote
> and pay taxes.

computers (then known as "electronic brains") then never came to pass
nor ever will.

We have learned that while it is easy for computers to automate
repetitive mundane tasks (like doing the payroll), it is far, far
harder to automate subtle human thinking processes. For example,
companies that use voice recognition to drive automated response
systems are flooded with consumer complaints.

Computers can assist but cannot replace human abstract analytical
observation, thinking, and decision making. Computers are ALWAYS
locked into the pre-programmed selection; if an observation or
decision is not on the pre-existing list, the computer simply can not
and will not deal with it. A human is required to handle them. When
a business automates any process, it will be ok as long as it has a
qualified human on standby for those unexpected unusual situations.
The problem is today companies are so intent on cost-cutting they
leave out the people.

Thus, when I had to call an out of state Blue Cross agency I had
trouble getting through since I was neither their subscriber or
provider; the only two choices on the menu. It didn't occur to the
programmer to accomodate reciprocal agreements with out of state
agencies. (And people wonder why I'm a Luddite).

What's funny about predicting future technology is that predictions
not only mess up on what technology can do, they also miss
technologies that do occur.

I doubt in 1967 anyone would've predicted consumers would use Star
Trek's computer diskettes or telephones only 25 years later, for
example, and definitely not dirt cheap.

They did predict widespread computer use, but via simple terminals (a
la Touch Tone phone) to big central computers, not powerful individual
computers.

I don't think anyone predicted telephone long distance "too cheap to
meter" like we have today. They expected a drop in cost but not so
radical.

The most important issue to remember is that technologies do not occur
in a vacuum. They require consumer acceptance and a workable business
model. How many unused Bell Picturephones are sitting in a warehouse?

Public replies please [2]

Go to Next message: Steve Stone: "Re: But They Never Say 'Can You Hear Me Now?'"
Go to Previous message: T: "Re: Robots Will Get Same Rights as Humans"
May be in reply to: Sharon Gaudin: "Robots Will Get Same Rights as Humans"