TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Verizon FIOS Wiring

Re: Verizon FIOS Wiring

John Dearing (John.P.Dearing@Verizon.net)
Sat, 11 Nov 2006 21:40:15 -0500

beedude@gmail.com wrote:

> I have question about the wiring for FIOS TV.

> I assume at some point they go from fiber to coax. Where is that
> transition done? Is it at the set top box (MDVR)? How do the remote
> set top boxes talk to the MDVR ... through the coax? Is it "star"
> wiring and do they use coax splitters? Where is the head of the coax
> (input end).

Almost any question you might have about FiOS can be answered at:

http://www.fiosfaq.com

But to give you some quick answers. The fiber stops at the ONT on the
side of your house. Inside the ONT are POTS connections (for dialtone)
an Ethernet connection (for Internet) and a coax connection (for TV).

The current installations are getting an Actiontec router which
supports MoCA. This provides a connection between the Ethernet and
coax portions and is what allows the on-demand features and the
channel guide to work.

See the FAQ for much more detailed information

John

Go to Next message: TELECOM Digest Editor: "Nipper, the RCA Dog"
Go to Previous message: Mike Sandman: "Re: Prairie Stream Out of Business"
May be in reply to: beedude@gmail.com: "Verizon FIOS Wiring"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page