TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Microsoft Opens Virtual Drives for Free

Re: Microsoft Opens Virtual Drives for Free

Danny Burstein (dannyb@panix.com)
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 03:55:00 UTC

In <telecom25.365.1@telecom-digest.org> Reuters News Wire
<reuters@telecom-digest.org> writes:

[ snippage ]

> The Microsoft virtualisation software has been available for more than
> two years, but as computers become more powerful the use of
> virtualisation is expected to mushroom, the company said at a news
> conference.

> The software permits the easy use of several operating systems on one
> machine. So, for example, dangerous software could be installed on a
> virtual machine without affecting the host computer.

To add a bit of useful clarification here ... if you're using Windows
XP as your operating system, you can set up a virtual machine inside
it running, yes, Windows XP, and if something Goes Wrong, you
(should ...) be able to simply shut down that portion and close it out
without any harm to your main operation.

dannyb@panix.com

Go to Next message: Wojtek Dabrowski: "Nortel Claims Video Hungry Users Could Push Net to Brink"
Go to Previous message: Herb Oxley: "Re: The Web is a Terror Training Camp in the USA, Chertoff Claims"
May be in reply to: Reuters News Wire: "Microsoft Opens Virtual Drives for Free"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page