TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Phone Line Noise Question

Phone Line Noise Question

nospam.phone@none.com
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 23:08:55 UTC

What causes the subtle hissing/background noise on phone lines? Is it
due to the internal phone wiring pickup noise? Or inherent to analog
telephones?

When I press a number to start the dialing sequence, the background
low-hiss noise becomes more noticeable. This morning I tried
connecting my phone directly to the phone junction box outside, and I
noticed the line noise is somewhat lower, to the point where I don't
really notice it. (But it's still there ...)

My phone lines are running in the crawl space. I remember last time I
was down there, I saw some open connections and the lines were laying
on the ground. Now if some of the wires are touching the ground, will
that cause the hiss noise? The wires are those more rigid types,
probably from the 1960s.. Last year I had a connection problem where I
can call in, but can't dial out, when the raining season is here, so I
was wondering if there's some kind of short to ground in part of the
wire. (But doesn't short to ground will get rid of noise?)

Thanks.

Raymond

Go to Next message: John Dunbar, AP : "FCC Stalls AT&T-BellSouth Deal For at Least Another Month"
Go to Previous message: telecomdirect_daily: "TelecomDirect News Daily Update - October 13, 2006"
May be reply: Raqueeb Hassan: "Re: Phone Line Noise Question"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page